background


Contributors

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We Finally Made it to Angel's Landing!

Ever since me and Brett started hiking in Zion last summer, we have been trying to "work our way up" to the harder hikes. Well this last week, we finally made it!!! Since we are moving soon, and have so much going on this month, we determined that Tuesday was our only shot at trying to hike Angel's Landing. The weekend weather wasn't so hot (in fact it was kinda rainy and gross), so we were hoping that we didn't get rained out once we got to the park. Luckily it was a clear, beautiful day and we were able to enjoy getting all sweaty and feeling the burn in our legs! Here are some sweet pictures from the trip.



I used to drive through Toquerville twice a week, and I don't ever remember seeing this tree. As we drove by on the way to Zion, I thought there were just a bunch of birds sitting on it, and as we got closer, I thought it was so weird that none of them were moving or flying away as cars were going by. Once I realized that they were shoes, we had gone past, but I was cracking up so bad that even though me and Brett were mid-sentence talking about something, I had to flip a U-ey to show him what was so freakin funny.



I told you we meet a new friend everytime we go hiking! This time we were just starting on the trailhead and were walking alongside the river when we see a cute little family of ducks just floating downstream on the current. It was so cute!



I have a weird obsession with inanimate objects like bridges, trains, train tracks, etc, so I love it when we get to cross these at Zion! There is just something about them that is so freakin cool! I guess I'm just weird.



Don't jump!





Here is what we hiked up the first probably 1/3rd of our trip... Talk about a burn.



This view was freakin awesome. We just had to stop and stare for a minute.










After going up the first set of switchbacks, we hiked through a little canyon which was so pretty!! There was a lot to see!




This was the biggest fuzzy caterpillar ever! I haven't seen one like this since I was a kid!


Here are Walter's Wiggles. I was a little disappointed I couldn't get a better picture like in the postcards.... Oh well, I guess.







Here was our pretty view from the Scout's Lookout point. It was pretty freakin sweet!


Here's a big crow? raven? big bird? Haha... Whatever it was, we saw like 10 of them as we were finishing the hike and they were squaking at us tauntingly.


The river was SOOO muddy that day, it was disgusting. Good thing we had already hiked the narrows!

I got this picture because the clouds looked totally sweet, but I've been informed that the highest point in the picture is Observation Point which is another of the really long hikes at Zion.

Here is a really tall mountain. Which....we...climbed!


You kind of can't tell what this is in this picture, but it was like a little salamander or something! The top half of him was shimmery silverish gold, and his whole bottom half was bright blue like he had been painted or something. So weird!

Here is what we had to hike up....

Here's looking down behind us.



What a beautiful view!

We finally reached the end and were able to rest!!


More of the gross river.





Here is a view looking over the sheer drop off of the cliff that we sat on the edge of...







Going both directions, this point of the hike was really windy! On the way down, it felt so nice to feel the strong breeze and cool off! Here is a picture of Brett basking in the wind. Haha...



One final view on the way down before my camera died!

No comments: