background


Contributors

Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Ring

THE PROPOSAL:

Since I had to work early the next morning, I left my house early Christmas afternoon to come back to Cedar. I stopped in Milford on the way, to hang out with Brett and his family for a little bit. (I was completely clueless as to how the rest of the night was going to turn out.) Brett rode home to Cedar with me later that night, and once we got to my house, he wouldn't let me unload my car. "I was told that you had a big surprise present waiting for you inside, so you can't bring everything in yet..." I totally should have seen it coming, but instead I'm like "Yes! Something too big to fit in the car, like a snowboard or something!" I walk into the house, and taped to my closed bedroom door is a note:

" Baby, I've missed you so much while you've been gone! I hate having a Christmas without you. But Christmas isn't over yet, and neither are the surprises and presents. I still have a few things to give you! I love you. Now for starters, go open the fridge!"

I still didn't realize what was going on at this point, because Brett always surprises me with cute little love notes in random places and little presents once in awhile. So I go to the fridge to find a bottle of apple cider all wrapped up with another note:

"Christmas is about memories. This Christmas let's toast to us and all the amazing memories we've had this past year. We've had so many, big and small. One of my favorites is that night we began. I thought you were so beautiful from the moment I met you, something that hasn't changed in the past year. I loved how my arms felt around you that night at the Hinder show. Then there is New Years last year when I told you that I love you. The first time we kissed in the rain. And even some recent ones that I'll never forget. Like our ice show in the kitchen. You should go pro, baby. And all the surprises and fun you gave me on my birthday. And how we just started dancing to a slow Christmas song in the kitchen one night. So a toast to memories and the hope that this Christmas night, time will stand still so I can enjoy your presence as long as possible tonight. I love you. There's something waiting for you on your end table."

Yes, he called it an end table... Silly boy. Haha. By this time, I was a little suspicious (and getting a little teary eyed) so I go into my room to find some candles on my night stand with another note.

"What's Christmas without lights? Candles remind me of your eyes. The flicker of the fire just catches your attention and sometimes you just can't look at anything else. Your eyes are the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. So big and blue, and you can see the happiness in them. They were the first thing I noticed when I met you. I could stare into them for days. I hope our kids get lucky enough to have their mother's amazing eyes. So this Christmas let's light some candles and cuddle together and watch them flicker... I think there's a surprise for you in your Santa stocking!"

So I run to a stocking I have hung on the wall above my desk, all excited to finally get my ring! But when I pull the ring box out and open it, there is just another note inside...

"One of the best things about Christmas is giving. There's so many things I wish I could give you if I had the money. But I can give you love forever and a promise to care for you for the rest of our lives. Baby, I want to give you something and I want you to give me something. Your hand. Turn around baby."

So I turn around, near bawling at this point (I know, I'm such a freakin baby), and Brett gets down on his knee with the real ring box and ring, and asks me to marry him. It was the most amazing proposal in the world... It matched everything about him and me and our relationship so far. I said yes, (duh). I was so excited to finally get to wear my pretty ring!(And to marry the man of my dreams, of course!) These pictures don't do it justice. I can't figure out why it's not very photogenic, but oh well. Here it is!




No comments: