background


Contributors

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Crash



So, today I mourn the death of my baby....She took her last breath just before ten o'clock last night. Sadly, I took her for granted. When she broke down or wouldn't even start at all, I kicked her, cursed at her, and wished she were dead. Now as I look back, I realize we truly did have some good times. We've sure been through a lot together.

See this beautiful, big dent? We got this one together the summer after I bought her. Me and my sister were camping with our family when we decided to drive to Duchesne to see fireworks with my cousin who lived in a small town nearby. Long story short, we spent the night in Neola (at my cousin's house) and in the morning, got completely lost with the directions back to our camp. We were in the middle of nowhere, going like 20 miles an hour on a dirt road, when all of a sudden, my sister squeals! The next thing I know, I see a deer bolting towards the side of my car in my peripheral vision, and boom! it hits us. I was pissed! I got out of the car to survey the damage, and later beat myself up that I hadn't tried chasing after the deer to get it's insurance information. That dang doe is gonna pay someday!

The next adventure we had together was just a few months ago while me and Brett were still living in Cedar City. We had spent most of the night over at Brett's family's house in Milford and were driving back to Cedar really late. I was exhausted, so Brett insisted he was wide awake and up for the drive. Unfortunately, he wasn't. He fell asleep and I woke up to the car bumping up and down on the gravel on the opposite side of the road. That also woke Brett up and he jerked the car back to the road, but over-corrected, so we did a 180 and the passenger side of the car barrelled into a barbed wire fence. The picture above is not of the damage done that time (although there were still a lot of big scratches and a dent to match the one the deer had made). It was a pretty scary experience, but all three of us were O.K.

You think it ends there? Of course not! In the end of October I was running late for school, and all of a sudden, the road I'm on is closed off! I didn't have time to sit and wait all day, so I pulled onto this dirt road and tried to back out and head the opposite way. All of a sudden, the stopped cars started moving, and I guess the guy who was in front of me originally, moved closer to where I was backing out, and my car smashed into the back of the utility trailer he was pulling. Of course I didn't make it to school, and wound up with this nasty back end to flaunt around town.

Now for the final goodbye. Last night me and Brett attempted to see The Dark Knight (because it came out on video today), and the dollar theater sent us home because there weren't enough people to show the movie. (Who does that, first of all?!) So we get home and try to make popcorn so we can cuddle and watch a Christmas movie at least, but there is no popcorn to be found! What is a movie without popcorn, right? So we hop back into my car to go to the store down the road for some, and little did we know, we would greatly regret that decision. It was freezing cold outside (like 10 degrees, literally!) and the wind was howling. It had snowed a little earlier, so we were driving really slow. Unfortunately, that didn't stop us from completely losing control of the car and sliding downhill on a complete sheet of black ice. We hit into the curb right in front of the last house on the street. We were shaken up and tried to reverse to straighten the car out, when another car comes careening down the same road completely out of control. My car had hit the curb straight on, so we were at an angle and the car smashed right into the passenger side of my car, completely totalling it. I was so terrified that Brett was crushed, but luckily he came away without a scratch. We spent two hours outside in the freezing cold waiting for cops, filling out paperwork, waiting for a tow truck, and finally walking home once things calmed down somewhat. It was a pretty traumatic night, but luckily, everyone involved was fine. I got a knarly seatbelt burn/cut on my neck, and some minor aches and pains, but unfortunately, I can't say the same for my baby. She is sitting in a tow yard all sad and alone and very mangled.

So this is dedicated to you my baby! Thank you for all the good times, and even though I always whined about your flaws, you will surely be missed!

1 comment:

Susan said...

SAvannah....Only you...lol. I am glad you are okay, but it seems like this kind of stuff always happens to you.
Take care of yourself. Next time by a tank. that way the only thing that gets hurt will be anything YOU hit.
Love you,
Me